Computer science degree change request

Policy: Transfer between programs

Students who want to change from a Master’s to a PhD in Computer Science must submit a new application. Admission to the PhD program can be denied. If admitted, the student is allowed to transfer only 12 credits from the original program to the new program.

A student who would like to switch from a PhD to a Master’s or switch Master’s degree programs in Computer Science can submit a Request Change through My ASU.  With approval, 12 credit hours are eligible to transfer into the Master’s program. Transfer (preadmission) courses must have been taken within the last three years with an earned grade of “B” or better and not used toward a previous degree. 

Do not submit a “Request Change” through My ASU without prior approval from SCAI. If you submit a request and you have not followed the proper procedure your request will be denied.

If you would like to request a transfer between programs, follow these steps:

1. Fill out the Degree Change Request form completely.

2. If you would like to petition to transfer in more than the eligible number of credit hours, use the appropriate form in addition to the SCAI Degree Change Request form: Master or PhD.

3. Attach supporting documentation (i.e. personal statement, faculty supporting statement, etc.).

4. Submit the form(s) and supporting documents to the Advising Center. Email submissions will only be accepted from students who do not currently reside in Arizona. Email: [email protected].

5. Provide two weeks for review.

Email notification and further instructions will be sent after the request has been reviewed.