Focus your studies
Customize your degree with an emphasis in software engineering or cybersecurity.
The computer systems engineering program is concerned with the analysis, design and evaluation of computer systems, both hardware and software. The program emphasizes computer organization and architecture, systems programming, operating systems and digital hardware design. This field of study not only focuses on how computer systems work, but also how they integrate into the larger picture.
Program educational objectives
Three to five years after graduation, we expect our alumni to exhibit one or more of the following:
- Utilize their computer systems education and general engineering skills in industrial, nonprofit, or research organizations.
- Are knowledgeable about and abide by the professional, social, and ethical responsibilities of the engineering profession.
- Are able to excel in diverse careers and shape the future by taking leadership roles in social, intellectual, business, or technical environments.
- Engage in lifelong learning and professional growth through, e.g., the pursuit of advanced degrees, professional memberships, or technical certifications.
We expect our alumni to demonstrate professional and ethical conduct in their professional actions.
Graduates of the CSE program will have an ability to:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.